Friday, January 11, 2013

What Inspires You?

The new year presents an opportunity for reflection.  It’s the perfect chance to stop, take a deep breathe and think about things you may want to change or accomplish.  For many people this reflection takes the form of creating resolutions for the upcoming year.  I really admire people who are able to make specific New Year’s resolutions stick.  I haven’t ever been one of those people and yet when I reflect on the past year there are definite changes I want to make.  So this year, I am going to keep it very simple.  I am going to take time to find things that inspire me.  That’s it. That is my plan for the upcoming year.

It may sound simple, but I think it is actually very powerful and has the potential to profoundly impact my day to day life.  I know I do my best work when I feel inspired and am passionate about what I am working on.

Here are two things have recently inspired me -

Steal Like An Artist, 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon  A short, fun to read book that helps you discover your creative side and build a more creative life.

A TED Talk by Candy Chang focused on using public spaces to connect with others and improve our lives.  

My guess is that by allowing time for inspiration and passion to have a place in the classroom the learning of all will be elevated.  I encourage you to take a minute to reflect.  What inspires you? What inspires your students?  I’d love to hear about it.

by Alyssa Gallagher, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction

“Passion is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without passion.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. Have a helpful blog to read for us and sharing useful tips for students who loves to read online. Business Plan Assistance Service.And keep continue to sharing helpful information for us.

    ReplyDelete