Friday, January 24, 2014

Passion & Purpose


Every once in a while my kids blow my mind. It happened two nights ago while I was cooking dinner and the boys were watching a little bit of TV. One show we can all agree on is Animal Planet’s Treehouse Masters. “Now in its second season, TREEHOUSE MASTERS has viewers climbing to a majestic world up in the treetops with visionary and tree whisperer Pete Nelson as he designs private escapes for those with a passion to reconnect with nature and awaken their inner child.” It’s a pretty cool show.

I’m cooking away and listening to combined tv noise and boy chatter, when my oldest comes out with this…

“I just love the child in this guy.”
I think I stopped mid mushroom slice to have him repeat it. He continued, “It’s just so cool how excited he gets about what he’s working on. He’s happy like a kid, but he’s building the most awesome things ever. It’s clear he loves what he does.”

What ensued after that was an amazing conversation about finding a passion and purpose in life. There is nothing I want more for my own children, and yours, than for them to find something they love to do and be able to enjoy it with regularity. If they can make a career of it too, all the better. Here’s another twist on it as well - forget about finding your passion, but focus on living with passion. I was so thrilled to see that he noticed the enthusiasm in this treehouse master, and also realized that it’s something worth shooting for.

Here's to a passion-filled life!


Contributed by Sandra McGonagle, Blach Intermediate School Principal

No comments:

Post a Comment